2006 Chevy Impala Service Traction Control

General car repair questions and answers.
mdixon
02 chevy impala overheating

Post by mdixon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 pm

I have a 2002 chevy impala v6 3.4 liter sudan. on the 20th of this month, I had the termostat changed because the line in the car kept going over to red and saying coolant temp hot put coolant in. even after that the line still would go over to the red while driving and then would come out the red but settle a line or two just before the red. the car just sat for a week and a half for holiday. now were back yesterday drove to the store, line still going over to red while drive but came back over to the line or two just before red. No heat was coming from the heater in the inside. My babies and my mom was in the car so left the car running sitting idle while I went in the store so they would possibly stay warm. Came back in, put it in gear and (not even out of parking spot) line went straight to red and so much smoke came out from under hood. towed car home. oh yeah, radiator was changed in May or June. Please advise as not a car person,but without a car right now. Thank you.

Bob

Re: 02 chevy impala overheating

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Your Impala has a major overheating problem. Sounds like the engine may be junk now. With the fact that the engine temperature was in the red, yet there is no heat from the heater, then that means there is air pockets in the cooling system. Then most common cause for this is either leaking intake manifold gaskets or a blown head gasket. These things are very common on the 3400 V6 engine. Here is a link to an article with more info and pictures... http://www.greatautohelp.com/pontiacans ... ating.html

mdixon

Post by mdixon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 am

thank you so much for your assistance. After reading your post, i googled head gaskets for my car, what are your thoughts concerning CRC K&W Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair with Nanotechnology? Do you think that this would work for my problem.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Those additives dont really work very well. They can work to seal a leak for a short period of time, but they never last, if at all. It i basically putting a band-aid on a problem. Sometimes they even cause different problems by clogging up the cooling system. The problem needs to be properly repaired.

Michelle

2006 Chevy Impala Service Traction Control

Post by Michelle » Tue May 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala. Was driving to work and got the "Service Traction Control" message on the dash. Then the car slowed by itself, as if I were pumping the brakes. When I pressed the gas it didn't increase the speed, just kept slowing down. PUlled to the side of the road and tried to move it, and it would not move at all. Put it in park, then would still not move at all when I put it into drive. I shut off the engine and tried to start it again, and it would not start. Any ideas?

karlk

Re: 2006 Chevy Impala Service Traction Control

Post by karlk » Tue May 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Sounds like your Chevy has an electrical problem.

The service traction warning may just be a result or another problem.

The car slowing and then not starting sounds like a low voltage problem.

I would start with e basics- make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. We have had problems with the battery terminals pulling out of the battery. This will cause all kind of problems.

Michelle

Re: 2006 Chevy Impala Service Traction Control

Post by Michelle » Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 am

Mechanic tells us that there is no compression in one cylinder. Will find out more today.